https://i0.wp.com/www.supportforstudentsgrowthcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/taskforce-selfadvocacy.jpg?fit=397%2C283&ssl=1 283 397 Eric Nach https://www.supportforstudentsgrowthcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/new-logo-691-336-300x146.jpg Eric Nach2014-07-06 23:21:562014-07-06 23:21:56THREE ACTIONS PARENTS CAN TAKE TO INCREASE SELF-ADVOCACY SKILLS
There are many opportunities for teaching self-advocacy skills throughout the day. It starts with making choices – choices for meals, choices for leisure activities, even choices for which chores to do around the house.
THREE ACTIONS PARENTS CAN TAKE TO INCREASE SELF-ADVOCACY SKILLS
Three actions parents can take to increase self advocacy skills of their children as they transition between activities.
- Doing for our children when they can be taught to do for themselves is a counter productive behavior and should be minimized as quickly as possible.
- When teaching your children about self-advocacy you may want to consider the following five decision making steps, while continuing to provide support and direction:
- What is the decision you need to make?
- What decisions could you make?
- Evaluate each choice. What are the pluses and minuses of each choice?
- Pick the best choice. Describe which choice you think is best for you.
- Evaluate. Did you make the best choice for you?