Three actions parents can take to increase self advocacy skills of their children as they transition between activities.
- Doing for our children when they can be taught to do for themselves is a counter productive behavior and should be minimized as quickly as possible.
- When teaching your children about self-advocacy you may want to consider the following five decision making steps, while continuing to provide support and direction:
- What is the decision you need to make?
- What decisions could you make?
- Evaluate each choice. What are the pluses and minuses of each choice?
- Pick the best choice. Describe which choice you think is best for you.
- Evaluate. Did you make the best choice for you?